IN AN EFFORT TO GET PEOPLE TO LOOK
INTO EACH OTHER'S EYES MORE OFTEN,
THE GOVERNMENT HAS DECIDED TO ALLOT
EACH PERSON EXACTLY ONE HUNDRED
AND SIXTY-SEVEN WORDS, PER DAY.
When the phone rings, I put it
To my ear without saying hello.
In the restaurant I point
At chicken noodle soup. I am
Adjusting well to the new way.
Late at night, I call my long
Distance lover and proudly say
I only used fifty-nine today.
I saved the rest for you.
When he doesn't respond, I know
He's used up all his words
So I slowly whisper I love you,
Thirty-two and a third times.
After that, we just sit on the line
And listen to each other breathe.
--Jeffrey McDaniel
________________________________
So I've got this gushy mushy weak spot for poetry. Especially tilt-your-head-quirky-lemonlimey-wait-a-second-that-was-a-poem? poetry. On the inside wall of the nook my bed sits in, I tape up little papers with things like this delicious piece written on them. It's like having a cool scar to start conversations with, except people actually have to be there. It's not really portable... I also write down the crazy random things my friends say to put up. It's my little word-cove, and it keeps me warm at night. :)
i like your choice of words
ReplyDelete