Saturday, August 20, 2011

What a Tart!

Ahh, the tart. The Chocolate Glazed Dark Chocolate Tart.
This past weekend I decided I'd like to try baking something new. Kira had sent me this recipe, via Paul Grimes at Gourmet.com, quite a while ago, but I dug it up in my grand collection of must-try recipes mostly because I didn't want to make a cake again, but I still wanted chocolate chocolate chocolate! Needless to say, it did not disappoint. Just look at that thing! The eloquent author of the original post put it this way: "A triple layer of crumbly crust, a truffle-like interior, and an almost patent-leather-shiny glaze make this tart the chicest take on chocolate we’ve come across in a long time." How true, how true. I went off to Smith's to pick up some Godiva sixty-five-percenters and a tart pan (PreeEEetty excited that I now own one!) and then headed back home to get baking! I was actually surprised at how super easy the recipe turned out to be for such an intimidating looking dessert. So much so that when I went to pull my crust out of the freezer where it had been cooling and dropped it to crumbly bits all over the floor I just put my hands on my hips, let out a little sigh, and then swept it up and promptly made another one. The rest of the process went much more smoothly, and by Sunday afternoon (after a chill in the refrigerator), I had some hungry boys over helping me devour the whole thing. I will definitely be making this tart again! So easy, so delicious, and oh so chocolatey. I think I've also been inspired to keep branching out and teach myself how to make some more new and interesting things. Next stop, soufflĂ©??

CHOCOLATE-GLAZED CHOCOLATE TART
(You'll need a 9" round, 1" deep fluted tart pan with removable bottom.)

Crust:
    9 (5 by 2 1/4-inch) chocolate graham crackers, finely ground (1 cup)
    5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
    1/4 cup sugar
Preheat oven to 350°F with the rack in the middle. Stir together all ingredients and press down evenly into bottom, and 3/4 up the sides of the tart pan. Bake until firm, about 10 minutes, and cool on a rack (or as I did in the freezer) for 10-20 minutes.

Filling:
    1 1/4 cups heavy cream
    9 oz bittersweet chocolate (not more than 65% cacao if marked), chopped
    2 large eggs
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    1/4 teaspoon salt
Bring cream to a boil, then pour over chopped chocolate in a bowl and let stand five minutes, then gently stir until smooth and incorporated. Whisk together eggs, vanilla, and salt in another bowl and stir into melted chocolate. Pour filling into cooled crust and bake until the filling is set about 3 inches from edge, but the center is still wobbly, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool completely in the pan for about 1 hour.

Glaze:
    2 tablespoons heavy cream
    1 3/4 oz bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
    1 teaspoon light corn syrup
    1 tablespoon warm water
Bring cream to a boil (Because it's such a small amount, I measured it out in my small liquid measuring cup and put it in the microwave. If you do it this way, you have to watch closely with your hand on the microwave door for the few seconds it will take before that cream explodes into foam and you have to hurry and take it out. I'm probably a little too experimental for a lot of foodies out there and I'd get slapped on the wrist for suggesting this, but it worked for me, so if your'e feeling brave go for it!), now where was I? Okay, bring cream to a boil and remove from heat. Stir in chocolate until smooth, then add the corn syrup and warm water, incorporating fully. Pour the glaze onto the tart and tilt and rotate it gently to spread it evenly over the surface to the edges without spilling over. Let stand until glaze is set, about one hour.

(The tart is best the day it is made, but if done in advance, it can be chilled for one day and then brought to room temperature and glazed before it is served.)

Enjoy, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment