Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Watering the Grass

WELL. Life certainly does have its way of sneaking up on you, tapping you on the shoulder and giggling, and then running off in front of you leaving you dashing and grasping after it, wondering when it got to be so nimble and tricky that you had to work so hard to keep up.

This past year for Christmas, I left the comfort of a tightly knit social circle and seventy-five degrees of Mesa, Arizona winter for the chilly postcard town of Lehi, Utah. Home. No matter how lonesome I get, or how many snowy days of yeah-you-actually-live-here-now...-how-on-earth-did-that-happen? realizations, there's no denying that Lehi is where my heart is. Now to just figure out how to create some semblance of a functioning, adequately filled and varied life for myself. I'm already all moved in to my new house, which is attached to the unequivocally wonderful Marilyn Nielsen's beautiful home, and have created a downsized version of a schedule for now. Full time work doesn't start until the 18th. I haven't yet attended the ward I'm now in. And I am not in high school. What's a girl to do to get some social interaction? Here's to hoping that this new singles ward can begin to measure up to my last one, as I have a feeling that a large portion of any new acquaintances and connections will be coming through my involvement in it. But. I have faith. And my trust is wholeheartedly put in the hands of my loving Heavenly Father. Yes, this is the place I tried so desperately to escape before, but now I'm here willingly. And by goodness, I'm going to make it work. After all, I knew that the grass really wouldn't be any greener on this side. But it'll plump up with this here water I brought. ;)

There is a voice inside of you
That whispers all day long,
"I feel that this is right for me,
I know that this is wrong."

No teacher, preacher, parent, friend,
Or wise man can decide
What's right for you- Just listen to
The voice that speaks inside.

-Shel Silverstein

No comments:

Post a Comment