So the other day I happened upon an article that began, "Grammar Nazis are so last century. Welcome, friends, to the brave new world of the Typography Nazi." HA! Hahaha! It then went into detail about the proper use of prime quotes, sixty-six and ninety-nine quotes, a proper ellipses, the fourteen different kinds of hyphens (exaggeration, obviously), brackets, and on and on. I have to tell you... I was seriously geeking out over it!! I've always been a little off the wall when it came to grammar, although admittedly far from perfect myself, but now with this new world of graphic design before me I am learning all about a WORLD of new things to be neurotic about! It's magical!!! Magical enough for me to be using multiple exclamation points at the ends of my sentences! (That's a no no.) ALSO, another thing that I've had issue with for some time even before I discovered the magical land of typography is the flagrant and just disrespectful misuse of the font Comic Sans. I could go on about this one for some time, but I'll save all you non-typographers the headache and just say this: STOP USING COMIC SANS. Just stop. Please. It's just wrong. WRONG. (I'm smiling gleefully right now. This stuff just gets me right in the warm-fuzzy insides.)
The POINT! Is that I am LOVING school. Or more specifically, I am LOVING my major! School is hard. It's kicking my trash on a regular basis. And I'm not going to lie to you, I really really dislike my drawing classes. Ironic, I know, but that's okay because these are core classes that I will be finished with in five short weeks, and then it will be on to more design. Yay! I find myself to be in particularly positive moods lately. I did the whole influenza thing. I can't afford school. I'm not working enough. I have unfinished homework up to my eyeballs. I'm single again. My hair needs some fresh color. But in light of everything, I'm still happy. Whenever another thing comes up that would or maybe should get me down, I just say to myself, you know what? It's okay. It's really okay! I'm okay, and it's going to be okay, and everything is all just okay. And I smile. And I move on. It's remarkably freeing to just choose to be happy, come what may. Yesterday I signed up for my classes for next quarter. I talked with a financial person first and we decided that unfortunately, in order for me to not be scratching my eyeballs out trying to pay tuition every month, I needed to lower my credit load from thirteen plus/minus per quarter to seven plus/minus per quarter. This is a little disheartening, as I'm the kind of person whom, when she decides to do something, just buckles down and does it, hard, fast, until it's done. I'm not a moseyer. I don't like to work little by little and let myself get distracted. It's one thing, BAM, until it's done. And then the next thing. Etcetera, etcetera. So of course I struggle with the idea that it will essentially take me twice as long to finish my degree, and that I'll really only be in class for eight hours total each week. BUT on the plus side, That means that I won't be drowning in homework, I'll have more hours available to me to work and therefore will be making more money, and my monthly tuition payments will stop making me cry. :) So no, this isn't my first choice of game plans when it comes to finishing this thing, but I know that I will finish, and that no matter what I can choose to be grateful for the opportunity and just enjoy the ride!
And now. I will stop procrastinating, and get some of that homework done! Have a great day everyone!
(Ps. Um, hello again Winter! Power went out for several hours last night, and there is pretty white snow all over the place. I love you, Lehi.)

No comments:
Post a Comment