Monday, March 7, 2011

Twenty-One Before Twenty-Two

I happened upon a pretty neat idea in blog land some time ago and decided that I'd like to take a shot at it. I was supposed to write up a list of goals to match my age that I wanted to, and thought I realistically could accomplish before my next birthday. Since I found the idea several months before my birthday, however, the project went on the back burner, and it wasn't until recently that I was reminded of it and realized my January birthday had come and gone with no goal setting! I really like the idea of having yearly goals set on your birthday in stead of New Years; it makes you think a little harder about it and choose things that are more personal in stead of the old standbys. I also think that people tend to make such grandiose resolutions thinking that surely a whole year is long enough to accomplish them, only to have the end of the year roll around and to not have actually followed through. This idea calls for several small scale goals to be accomplished one by one throughout the year. They're less intimidating, so we're more likely to actually do them. My birthday happens to only be a week and a half into January, so I guess I am a little closer to the New Year resolution bunch, but I'm still giving myself until January 11th to accomplish my twenty-one goals before I'm twenty-two. :)

1. Get under two-hundred (Thirty five pounds last year was a good start, but I'm finishing this sucker!)
2. Start a choir in my singles branch
3. Finish reading through the Book of Mormon (I always seem to get hung up in Alma. Why is that?)
4. Write Meagan on her mission (She leaves April 6th. I think I miss her already.)
5. Get into those fourteens! (Aren't great looking incentive jeans just so bittersweet?)
6. Set up the rest of my desk (What with all this art happening in my life I needed an upgrade!)
7. Have a Harry Potter marathon (Totally serious about this. Who's in??)
8. Have at least $800 in savings (Half way to my new computer!)
9. Stick to The Rules (Ladies, you will appreciate this one: "All The Rules" by Ellen Fein & Sherrie Schneider)
10. Do something for the first time
11. Visit Kira and Gabe in Phoenix (These withdrawals started the moment I drove away...)
12. Make some more seasonal aprons (At least a head start on the one-for-every-holiday project!)
13. Learn how to really use Photo Shop. (It's a good thing I'm going to art school, huh?)
14. Spend more quality time with Sara (Sara, the younger. A good sister. :)
15. Stick to the No Complaining policy (Who needs it??)
16. Eat more vegetables (Kira, you are my inspiration)
17. Learn Spanish! (Starting with my class next quarter)
18. Totally Pay off the credit card (Less than two hundred bucks worth of gas shouldn't be too difficult)
19. Walk more outside (Can't wait for it to be warm enough to make good use of that track across the street)
20. Eat breakfast every day
21. Learn to do things alone - Happily (No more staying home because I don't have a buddy!)

What are your goals? I know someone has to have a birthday coming up. And even if you don't, you can get a head start thinking of what you want to put on your list. I didn't realize how much I'd have to think about it but twenty-one ended up being quite the undertaking! I think it will get easier with practice though. And now that I've got it in my brain so I won't start almost two months late next time!

3 comments:

  1. I'm in for the Harry potter marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try reading the Book of Mormon by book but out of order. It kept me from getting stuck in Alma and I will finish the whole thing in less than three months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your goals! But I'm not trying to come up with 53! That's tooooooooo many! Maybe I'll try to do a few! I am reading all the standard works this year. Did it last year too! And I'm still trying to see the last Harry Potter movie! Maybe tonight! Good idea!

    ReplyDelete