Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Underwater

You know how there's this thing called being a woman, and sometimes when you're a woman you do woman-y emotional things, and you just hate it because you wish you could be tough and cool and just rise above even if there's honest to goodness nothing that you even need to rise above, you're just being womanly for no gosh dang reason? Like crying. What in the world is this all about ladies? Why do we cry for no reason at all? Especially when we talk to our mothers! I love my mother. She's one of my dearest friends, and I like it that way. I feel like I can talk to her about just about anything, and I love that she often returns the favor. A lot of people would argue that having personal types of conversations with your parents about things like money and relationships and heaters would put an odd kind of wedge between the child and the respect aspect of the parent-child relationship, but I beg to differ. I know people who never really got to talk with their parents. They never got let in on the 'adult' type things that were going on in their lives so now that they themselves are 'adults' they're floundering around trying to make life work and wondering if they're the only ones who ever struggled with it. Life can be hard. Life is hard. Life can also most definitely be happy, but sometimes life is just downright hard. I love that I was lucky enough to be raised in this life by a mother who reassures me that I am not the only one guilty of thinking this, and that all those 'adults' out there are still trying to figure it out too. It's not a magical gift bestowed upon you when you get married, or have kids, or anything like that. We're all supposed to learn and keep learning and really, do we ever become real adults?
Anyway. That's not really what I thought I was writing about when I started this post but you know how that goes. The point is, ugh. It is one of those weeks again! And I am a woman, and I am crying. Dangit. And in a minute I am going to go take a shower, and put on some freshly washed clothes, and I will feel much better. And I will stop crying. And it will be okay. Women. Geez louise.

No comments:

Post a Comment